- Workflow: Build Test Launch and Measure
- Use the Alexa Developer Console
- Start with a custom skill or Flash Briefing or Smart Home or Video skill
- Invocation name that is unique for your Alexa app
- Build an interaction model voice user interface (VUI)VUI (specific to voice apps)
- Need to provide examples, sample utterance
- How user interacts with Alexa? How does it work Source 1 (also see above image from source 5)
- Innovation name is used often, succinct and unique is good
- Intent is what your skill app can do
- Utterances is how or the language that users expresses to your skill the right intent
- Slot accept inputs from users
- Connect other APIs use interfaces
- JSON editor. You can use the visual console to enter intents and utterances or you can write JSON code.
- Specify end point where the code will live. End point receives request. "where the custom logic will live". Not the interaction model.
User Alexa Interactions
Free Alexa Developer Training Course
- Welcome prompt is important. Provide important information.
- Avoid jargons - difficult or professional words that are hard for users to recall, use or understand. See what I did there? Avoided jargons.
- Use conversations that are natural. Ironically, you should even test if your conversation models are natural. Does it understand common utterances - things users say or use? Is it what the users expect?
- One breath test: dialogs should be finished in one breath
- Read out loud to test the dialog scripts
- Can use Alexa simulator to test.
- Recommend testing and get user feedback before submitting for certification
- Take pauses
Create Alexa Skills with BlueprintExample Flash Briefing Blueprint Source 12
Create Alexa Skills with APIsSome available APIs.
Create Alexa without code
Alexa for GamingRead the document or join a hackathon to learn more.
- The backend is usually a lambda function and is interacted via a lambda endpoint
- A simple storage service (S3) is provisioned if hosted on AWS
- Udacity Natural Language Processing nanodegree (NLP) for deep learning and machine learning teaches Alexa and IBM Watson skills.
- Twilio Autopilot can build smart language interaction models based on sample utterances, and outputs JSON files that can integrate with Alexa.
- Shark Tank Mark Cuban talks about how he uses Alexa and why developers should develop for Alexa. Source 8
- Amazon Pay in Alexa example Blu ai Source 9
- Alexa Skills Kit Developer Console Source Source 11
- Alexa for Business allows businesses to host private skills within the organization Source 13
- You can write Alexa backend in either Node.js or Python
- Alexa can speak other languages such as English, Japanese, Spanish, Italian etc. Unfortunately it cannot speak Chinese right now. Source 14
- Alexa is on many IoT devices including driving speakers, and Facebook Portal photo frame and video call.
7 - https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/d92c7822-d289-44fd-a9fe-9652874fc3c9/five-benchmarks-for-writing-dialog-that-sounds-great-to-alexa-customers
8 - https://youtu.be/DOWXIWJF3lk
9 - https://blu.ai/?ld=ELNALPA-go.payments.amazon.com
10 - Best practices https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/d92c7822-d289-44fd-a9fe-9652874fc3c9/five-benchmarks-for-writing-dialog-that-sounds-great-to-alexa-customers
11 - https://youtu.be/q-mrSBrlDso
12 - Flash Briefing https://blueprints.amazon.com/bp/amzn.ask.bp.0758a769-9b10-4089-9679-1791ee6bfa5f
13 - https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2017/11/alexa-for-business-is-now-generally-available
14 - https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/custom-skills/develop-skills-in-multiple-languages.html