- A job posting was published as an email, female developers are encouraged to apply
- The posting was mistaken as only encouraging women to apply
- Several members lashed out on issues of equality, equal opportunity, discrimination, and sexism against men
- Several members argue that the posting discriminates, if there is a "men only" posting, women would be upset too
- A couple of members mentioned that most nurses are female but we don't that that men must be nurses, and they deny the fact that women are oppressed/discouraged/disadvantaged in the programming world. Citing only programming skills to be the criteria
- Others point out the ignorance, the gender gap is clearly an issue, and the Brogramming, Men in Rails cultures are hurting female engineers' chances of entering the job field Updated 9/12/2013: please see our AB Camp community discussion on this thread, in wich I shared the resources that other members of the mailing list have pointed out as evidence of gender app in Technology in the Silicon Valley: click here to view on MightyBell. Mightbell is also the host of LeanIn Discussions.
- Several members write that this thread and the negativity it has garnered is precisely what discourages women developers to advance in tech careers
- Several members have to constantly remind others to stop attacking and "be nice"
The discussion goes on. I urge you all to Lean In with agility and wittiness.