Note, I have bought ProGit and just haven't gotten any where with this yet. Michael Hartl is great, but too repetitive. It will be great as a byproduct of your Rails study but not alone.
The best time to get started with Git Real the course on Code School is when you learnt the basics
- git init
- git add .
- git commit -m "this is my comment"
- git push
- Try Michael Hartl's tutorial if you are learning Rails, you can learn Git along the way.
- Play this Git Game! http://pcottle.github.io/learnGitBranching/
- Learn Git Real on Code School (hopefully signed up using our referral :P )
- Learn command console via Treehouse (please also use our referral code ) - less recommended for Git learning now, but strongly recommend for any command line dev like server, Rails
- ProGit book tough read
- Codecademy 's brief blog post on Git and Commandline